Cauliflower Fried Rice Recipe
Cauliflower is a member of the cruciferous family, which means that it’s detoxifying, high in fiber, and packed with vitamins and disease-fighting phytochemicals. On top that, you’ve got the added nutritional value of bell peppers, mushrooms, sugar snap peas, zucchini and carrots. I’m talking vitamin-C, beta-carotene, and anti-oxidants galore. Eggs add some protein to this vegetable-packed meal, and coconut oil boosts immunity and has been shown to help balance cholesterol levels.
Yield: 4 servings
- ½ Spanish onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ cup thinly sliced cremini mushrooms (about 5 whole mushrooms)
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small zucchini diced
- ½ cup grated carrot
- ½ cup sugar snap peas, chopped
- ½ head cauliflower, florets removed
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1½ teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- ½-1½ tablespoons Sriracha (It totally depends on how much heat you can handle.)
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil (in solid form)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- For garnish: (optional)
- Scallions, thinly sliced
- Fresh basil, chopped
- Start by prepping all of the vegetables, keeping the diced onions and minced garlic separate from the rest of your veggies. Briefly set them aside while you “rice” your cauliflower.
- Place cauliflower florets in a food processor and pulse gently until the cauliflower is the size and texture of rice. If you don’t have a food processor (you are not alone), don’t panic! Just throw the florets in a blender and pulse on the chop setting OR use a box grater. Be careful not to over-process or grate your cauliflower too finely, or it will release too much water and get mushy when you cook it! Set aside your “rice” until ready to use.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar and minced ginger. Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat two teaspoons of coconut oil in a wok or large pan until melted. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes until the onions soften and the garlic becomes fragrant. Add the mushrooms, red bell peppers, zucchini, carrot, and sugar snap peas and sauté for 3-4 minutes until they are just tender.
- Stir the cauliflower rice into the sauteed vegetables. Cover and cook for five minutes over medium-low heat. The cauliflower should be tender but not mushy.
- Push the rice and vegetables to one side of the pan and crack two eggs in the empty space. Scramble them using a spatula until they are no longer runny. Mix the eggs into your fried rice. Add the soy sauce mixture and chopped basil and cook for 1 minute.
Serve your cauliflower fried rice garnished with extra fresh basil and finely sliced scallions if you feel fancy. Healthy looks good on you.