Oregano Oil Health Benefits
Oregano oil is widely known as nature’s potent defense against harmful organisms. Not only is it highly respected within the natural health community, it is also being widely studied within the scientific community for its vast medical uses.
Research designed to examine oregano oil has encompassed many topics. Oregano oil also has extremely high levels of free-radical-fighting antioxidants, agents that protect the body.
Oregano oil may also provide support for indications of common infectious ailments including respiratory problems, skin problems, athlete’s foot, yeast infections and harmful organisms.
Research on Oregano Oil
Studies have shown its usefulness against Candida albicans, aspergillus mold, staph, vaginal imbalance, pseudomonas and listeria. A study from the US Department of Agriculture showed that oregano essential oils presented potent action against Salmonella and E.coli . Other research holds the same, stating that oregano oil is such a powerful agent that it can be used to preserve food. Studies from the Department of Food Science at the University of Tennessee and the University of the Algarve found that similar results for oregano’s power against pathogenic germs.
A recent study from the Department of Physiology and Biophysics at Georgetown University Medical Center, stated the following in regard to the role of essential oils for infections:
“New, safe agents are needed to prevent and overcome severe bacterial, viral, and fungal infections. Based on our previous experience and that of others, we postulated that herbal essential oils, such as those of origanum (oregano oil)…offer such possibilities.”
Another study published in the journal, Experimental and Toxicologic Pathology found that this oil could lower the negative effects of induced colitis in rats and opens the door to new ideas about its benefit to the colon and liver.
More Oregano Oil Health Benefits:
- Resistant to redness and swelling
- Can help relieve congestion
- Emmenagogue — Oregano oil can aid irregular menstruation and reducing the negative effects of menopause.
- Calms sensitivities to environmental irritants. Oregano oils produce a sedating effect on the hyper-sensitivity of allergies.
- Potent anti-oxidant capacity — Through neutralizing free-radicals, oregano oil helps us slow the process of cellular deterioration, thus slowing the process of aging.
- Rosmarinic acid, a component of oil of oregano, is an antihistamine, and a more powerful antioxidant than vitamin E.
- Digestive aid — Stimulates the flow of bile in the digestive organs
- With regular use, this essential oil can help protect us against fungal infections.
Action Against Harmful Organisms
- A recent study on the activity of multiple essential oils against harmful organisms found that both oregano and thyme oils showed the strongest activity.
- Inhibition of the growth of enteric organisms. A 6-weeks study on individuals with organisms found that supplementation with 600 mg of oregano oil daily led to a complete disappearance of the harmful organisms. It may also protect us against a wide variety of infiltration within the body, as well as the physical environment. This includes round worms, tape worms, bed bugs, lice, fleas and mosquitoes.
Oregano oil is also a excellent source of vitamins and minerals. It is high in the vitamins A C, and E complex, as well as zinc, magnesium, iron, calcium, potassium, copper, manganese and niacin.