Back pain can be mild to very severe and is experienced at one point or another in 80% of people. Low back pain can be a warning sign of spinal abnormalities and result from poor posture.
Today, the most common treatments for back pain are NSAIDS like aspirin and tylenol along with more potent conventional pain medications. These drugs have adverse side effects and have been linked to liver damage and intestinal bleeding.
If you are going to heal back pain you must first know the cause. The most common causes of back pain include:
- Muscle strains or tight hamstrings
- Poor posture
- Non-supportive shoes
- Emotional stress
- Sleeping on a poorly made mattress
Top Foods for Low Back Pain
If you want to experience a pain free back and prevent back pain in the future, the diet is key. Start eating these foods daily to reduce low back pain fast and for good:
- High fiber foods – Constipation can make back pain worse, so eat plenty of fruits and vegetables which are high in fiber.
- Water – Drink 8 glasses of water daily as dehydration can increase back pain.
- Potassium rich foods – Potassium reduces swelling. Include potassium rich foods such as green leafy vegetables, avocados, bananas, coconut water and cultured dairy.
- Omega-3 fats – Wild-caught fish and flaxseed are high in omega-3s that reduce inflammation and reduce pain.
- Clean lean protein – Choose chicken, turkey, or lean meats to provide your body with adequate protein to maintain muscle and bone health.
Back Pain Foods to Avoid
Sugar – Sugar is pro-inflammatory and increases pain.
Alcohol – This also worsens inflammation.
Caffeine – Caffeine is dehydrating and may increase inflammation. Limit yourself to no more than one cup of coffee daily or cut back completely if you can.
Trans fats – These fats increase inflammation and pain.
Excess calories – Being overweight exacerbates back pain.
Top 5 Natural Remedies For Back Pain Relief
- Fish Oil (2,000mg daily)
People with back pain need higher doses of omega-3 fats to help reduce inflammation. Supplementation is often required since most of our diets do not include the necessary dosage.
- Turmeric (1,000mg daily)
This may also be called curcumin, which is the active ingredient in this spice. It is a powerful anti-inflammatory and reduces pain.
- Proteolytic Enzymes/Bromelain and Papain (500 mg 3x daily)
Found in pineapple, this is a natural anti-inflammatory which also helps reduce swelling.
- MSM (2,000-8,000 mg daily)
MSM is an anti-inflammatory supplement that is high in sulfur to help rebuild cartilage. It can help alleviate muscle spasms.
- Magnesium (400-500 mg daily)
This mineral is sometimes called the “relaxation mineral” because it helps relax muscles and reduce stress. Decrease the dosage of magnesium if it causes diarrhea.
Natural Treatment For Back Pain
Regular chiropractic care adjustments have proven to be very effective at eliminating low back pain.
Essential Oils For Back Pain
Peppermint and wintergreen oil are effective analgesics that cool inflamed joints and reduce back pain. You can mix these oils with coconut oil and rub onto joints or make a homemade muscle rub. Frankincense and cypress oil reduce inflammation and improve circulation which improves back pain.
Leave a Reply