I’m a huge fan of making treats like chocolate mousse or pots de creme for dinner parties, or just whipping up cups and having them on hand for when I need a sweet snack. This chocolate mousse has a hint of coffee flavor, which is such a delightful pairing with chocolate.
Keto and Gluten-Free Chocolate Mousse
Yield: 4 servings
- 3 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 2 oz chopped 86% or higher dark chocolate
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup brewed coffee, cooled
- 3 tsp sugar substitute (granulated erithrytol)
- ¼ tsp salt
- Using a mixer, whip egg whites and cream of tartar on high until egg whites form stiff peaks, about 7 minutes. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix heavy whipping cream on high for 5-8 minutes until it takes on a whipped cream consistency. Gently mix in 1 tsp sweetener.
- In a double boiler over boiling water, whisk egg yolks, salt, coffee, cocoa powder and 2 tsp sweetener. Whisk until combined, about 2 minutes. Take off heat and stir in chopped chocolate and vanilla extract.
- Fold egg whites into chocolate mixture. Then fold in whipping cream. Stir gently until all ingredients are just combined. Portion the mix into 4 ramekins. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Top with chocolate shavings or additional whipping cream.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
- 250 calories,
- 23.4 grams fat,
- 12.4 grams carbohydrate,
- 4.1 grams dietary fiber,
- 8.3 grams net carbohydrate,
- 7.7 grams protein.