Sugar Cookies are the ideal holiday dessert
Makes: 36 medium cookies Hands-On Time: 25 min Total Time: 1 hr 15 min
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for the work surface1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Coarse sanding sugar or turbinado sugar (optional)
- Heat oven to 350° F. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the egg and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the vanilla
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated (the dough will be stiff).
- Shape into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough to 1 inch thick. Using cookie cutters, cut into shapes. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing them 11 inches apart. Sprinkle with the sanding sugar, if using.
- Bake until just beginning to brown at the edges, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool slightly on baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Nutritional Information/Per Serving
- Calories 180 calories
- Calories 55 calories from fat
- Fat 11 g
- Sat Fat 7 g
- Cholesterol 39 mg
- Sodium 43 mg
- Protein 2 g
- Carbohydrate 21 g
- Sugar 8 g
- Fiber 1 g