Chopped Salad Recipe
This Chopped Salad is not your standard lettuce, cucumber and carrot salad! There are a lot of random ingredients (beans, chow mein noodles, 2 cheeses, tortellini, etc.), but they come together really nicely. One thing I like about this salad is that you can easily add grilled chicken or shrimp and turn it into a meal. Plus, the beans and tortellini make it pretty filling.
- romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ cup medium mozzarella balls, cut in half (we used bocconcini)
- ¼ cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup Kalamata olives
- ¼ cup dry chow mein noodles
- ½ cup cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- salad dressing (we used Greek vinaigrette)
- 1 cup cheese tortellini, fresh
For frying the tortellini:
- 1 egg, plus 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- vegetable oil, enough to fry the tortellini
- Start by frying the tortellini, make sure you use fresh. Heat vegetable oil in a large frying pan.
- While the oil heats, prepare the egg wash. In a small bowl, whisk 1 egg together with 1 tablespoon of water.
- In another small bowl, pour 1 cup of Italian bread crumbs.
- Dip the tortellini in the egg wash first, then dredge them in the bread crumbs.
- Fry the tortellini, a few at a time, in the hot oil. Fry until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a large bowl, toss together the rest of the salad ingredients.
- Add the fried tortellini and chow mein noodles last so that they don’t get soggy.
- Top with Greek vinaigrette, or salad dressing of your choice.